Allenna Leonard, John Clarke, Rosemary
Beyond “Beyond Dispute” is before
Decouple identity issues from the Syntegration
Identify desirable conditions that enable Syntegrations
- Sufficient difference and disagreement
- Be beyond positional bargaining
- Participants must be willing to be there
- Participants must know why they are there
- A leader, not a cipher
- Is thirty always enough for requisite variety in 3
– five days of meetings
- How do we propagate the outcomes (to be discussed
We must demonstrate the value and effectiveness of
Beer’s Syntegration to:
- Address situations in ways that preempt
- In real time;
- In a positive way.
Popularizing Beer’s Syntegration can deepen
democracy, as shown in the following insights:
- The 1998 Israeli / Palestinian Syntegration held in
England needs to be more fully written up for
- We could profit from more research into the
‘tipping points’ that signal where such
interventions promise to be successful.
- Distributing mutually linked mobile phones among
opposing combatants takes much of the incentive out of
- More fundamentally we should explore how Team
Syntegrity itself can be adapted and evolved, such as
doing licensed usage with contingent fee pricing offered
as financial speculation on the promoters’
- Proliferating Beer’s Syntegration is not about
licensing, but popularizing non-esoteric decision
- Enough bite in the Sytegration topic is crucial; it
must be sufficiently compelling to drive away other
thoughts. Otherwise personal angst is all that gets
- Computer-mediated natural language translation
(faulty as it is) nevertheless overcomes barriers of
class, nationality, and ‘identity
- No matter what a participant’s fluency,
education or class background, s/he must have present a
vocal representative of one’s perceived
- By structuring the Syntegration to render inequality
of knowledge not an issue, then subversive breakthroughs
become possible or even likely.
- We lose the possibility to enrich and build when
infoset members ignite over necessary differences.
- The most productive infosets consist of persons who
each know very different things rather than the same
- Alternative modalities or means are needed to
de-intensify the frustrations infoset members drag in
with themselves. Extremists ignore possible
- Unemployed young men in large numbers are poisonous
anywhere. This fact renders terrorism borderless, and
tends to suggest when a military solution is the only
We humbly undertook to ‘dissolve’ the
enduring problem of human aggression. It runs the full
gamut from one person’s internal conflicts, to
nation-states waging all-out war. We advocate:
- Exploring anew the fundamental nature of human
conflict using insights from the VSM & TS.
We sense a substantial potential that the related VSM /
TS approaches might resolve much more than is achieved
- e.g. Where there is too LITTLE controversy there is
premature agreement, so the timing dynamics are always a
- e.g. The Sytegration topic must be sufficiently
mature to permit seeing all the ‘fracture
points’ that open the space in which to reach
- e.g. A Placing Issue is whether or not the
articulated positioning has reached sufficient ripeness
to be susceptible to fresh results.
- e.g. The identity of invitees to a Syntegration is
routinely a criticial variable.
Different combinations of participants for Syntegration
become possible when the topic of the new Syntegration
changes. This beneficial characteristic tends to overcome
rituals and conventions becoming pathologically
Apparently unresolvable tension inside the S3-S4 vortex
may not be inrreconcilable since this type of dispute is a
sign of systemic health, not disease. It is mainly hotly
contending combatants who can not bring themselves to
accept just one S5.
- VSM / TS may succeed in replacing sclerotic conflict
with creative conflict.
- A Syntegration topic must be truly compelling.
Otherwise the uneasy infoset will revert to the
persistent antagonisms that have lingered long after the
initial cause has been forgotten. The subtle injection of
VSM / TS into the malevolent offers hope of success in
overcoming a culture’s approval of violence.
Similar approaches have worked at:
- e.g. The ‘Community Arts’ success in
- e.g. The Street Theater approach.
- e.g. Youth clubs for the underprivileged.
- e.g. Other civil society resources such as the law
Applicable circumstances to deploy the VSM / TS
approachs wax and wane for:
- Pre-Conflict -- our methodology is very strong;
- Immersed in Conflict – our methodology is
- Post-Conflict – our methodology is very
- VSM / TS when used as a ‘silent catalyst’
can obviate the need for violent conflict.
- VSM / TS model furnishes excellent redundancy of
- VSM / TS offers some hope for creating
‘community immunity’ against HIV / AIDS,
because functionally the methodolgy is an
Take the S.B. paper ‘World in Torment’ and
revisit, reread, reapply to the present. Earlier
Syntegrations can also be reexamined for overlooked
We urge that this panel’s work product be handed
on and continued by the group who dealt with the gap
between Politics and Governance.
We also suggest that a Syntegration be done involving
representatives of other conflict resolution and group
process methodologies to examine our question. It could be
an advertisement for their potential in these